LIGHTNING SHUTDOWN/RECOVERY PROCEDURES
July 1, 2013
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, USE INSTRUCTIONS ON BULLITIN BOARD IN CONTROL ROOM
If there are problems, contact the Site Manager
1. Shutdown the TCS:
a. Logout of the TCS on Olive – From the User menu in the upper left-hand corner select Exit.
b. From the Start menu at the bottom left on Olive, select Shutdown
2. Shutdown the rest of the computers:
a. On Moss, close all windows and shutdown via the Start menu (for the windows boot).
b. On Sage, close all windows and shutdown via the K window.
c. On Emerald, close all windows
i. Close the Taupe VNC GWC window
ii. Close all windows within the Taupe VNC ICE window
iii. Close the Taupe VNC ICE window
d. On Emerald, open a browser window
i. Go to the URL http://36-power-1; login and password are on the whiteboard
ii. Click on OFF for all Taupe and Rust computers and drives
e. Shutdown Emerald via the power menu at the bottom of the screen
1. Disable the room monitor:
a. Press “What is”
b. Press “Code”. The unit will respond with ‘enter security code’
c. Enter the security code which is listed on the left side of the unit.
d. Unit will respond with ‘OK’ or ‘Error 2’. If you get an error, try again.
e. Press the “Run/Standby” key to disable the monitor.
2. Switch the gray box, just to the right of the room monitor, from Dry Air to N2
3. On the east wall, flip the breaker for the HA/Dec drives to the off position
4. Turn off Moss via the power switch on the front
5. Turn off all racks:
a. Turn off the 2 racks closest to the door at the bottom back – 1 switch for each rack
b. For S2KB, turn off the CCD controller via the two switches at the front with RED guards. Then turn off the power to the controller at the back of the racks.
c. Turn off the computer rack with Emerald/Taupe at the top/back.
6. Unplug the power cord at the back of Olive
7. Unplug the gray ribbon cable on the back of Olive
8. Turn off the dry air system
9. Close the in-line valve on the outlet side of the dry air system
10. Open valves on wall directly across from Computer room door for N2 tank. Large pressure gauge should read at least 500psi (if below this, contact the Site Manager), small gauge should read about 20psi
1. Turn off the compressor by toggling the red switch on the power box.
2. Unplug the auto-drain
3. Switch the compressor disconnect breaker to the off position
4. Turn the UPS off by turning the keyswitch to the off position
5. Switch the main disconnect breaker to the off position
1. Switch the main disconnect breaker to the on position
2. Turn the UPS on by turning the keyswitch to the on position. Confirm the UPS is NOT running on battery. If the UPS still runs on battery power, turn off and contact the Site Manager
3. Switch the compressor disconnect breaker to the on position
4. Plug in the auto drain
5. Turn on the compressor by toggling the red switch on the power box
1. Press the big green reset button on the south wall
2. Enable the room monitor
a. Press “Run/Standby”
b. Press “Set”
c. Press “Code”
d. Enter the security code, which is listed on the left hand side of the unit
e. Unit will respond with “OK”
3. Turn on the breaker for the HA/Dec motors
4. Turn on the two computer racks closest to the door at the bottom back
5. Plug in the gray ribbon strip on the back of Olive
6. Plug in the power cord on the back of Olive
7. Turn on Moss and Olive (Second rack from door. Power switched on the front, inside the doors.)
8. Turn on the racks for S2KB at the back – 2 switches. Then turn on the controller via the two switches at front with RED guards
9. Turn on computer rack for Taupe and Emerald – switch at top rear. Emerald should boot automatically.
10. Go to control room. Once Emerald has booted, login and open browser for turning on Taupe:
a. Go to the URL: http://36-power-1; login and password are on the whiteboard
b. Click on “Turn On” for all Taupe and Rust computers and drives
c. Go to computer room and turn on Taupe if needed (switch is on back)
11. Turn gray N2 box on wall next to room monitor to “Dry Air”
12. Close valves to N2 tanks. Notify Site Manager if pressure is <500psi
13. Open the inline valve on the outlet side of the dry air system
14. Turn on dry air system
1. Make sure that Moss and Olive boot up
2. Turn on Sage if you will be using it
3. Start the data taking programs
a. On Emerald, select the VNC GWC Taupe from the desktop as well as the VNC Taupe window.
b. Within the Taupe VNC ICE window, start up a Data Acquisition window, a Data Reduction window, and Ximtool-alt (all from the background menu)
You will also need to check the following systems:
1. Take several biases prior to taking any science data
2. Wait for the CCD to reach nominal temperatures before taking any science data. Type ccdinfo into the acquisition window. Nominal CCD temps are on the whiteboard.
3. Reset the dome position from the TCS by selecting Dome => Home
4. Initialize the guider focus
a. From the guider control window in the ACE TCS, make sure the north camera is selected and then click INIT
b. Repeat for the south camera
5. Reset the socket server timing
a. In the Taupe GWC window on Emerald, in the xterm window type start-itcs and hit return
b. At the itcs> prompt, type timer 5000 and hit return
c. At the itcs> prompt type tcs and hit return