NOAO >   Observing Info >   Approved Programs >   2013B-0164

Small NOAO Logo

Proposal Information for 2013B-0164


PI: Felipe Menanteau, Rutgers University, felipe@physics.rutgers.edu
Address: Departament of Physics and Astronomy, 136 Frelinghuysen Rd, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA

CoI: John P. Hughes, Rutgers University
CoI: Felipe Barrientos, P. Univ. Catolica de Chile
CoI: Leopoldo Infante, P. Univ. Catolica de Chile
CoI: Matt Hilton, University of KwaZulu-Natal
CoI: Tobias Marriage, Johns Hopkins University
CoI: Megan Gralla, Johns Hopkins University

Title: Uncovering the z>1 SZ Massive Clusters from the Atacama Cosmology Telescope

Abstract: In 2012B we were awarded SOAR optical and near-infrared (NIR) observations to image ~40 new unconfirmed 148 GHz high significance Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) detections from the Atacama Cosmology Telescope (ACT). This has provided ~25 new massive (>7\times10^14M_\odot) SZE-clusters to z<0.8 for an additional area of ~200 deg^2 with no previous optical coverage. \bf The optical observations of the program were successfully carried out in Nov 2012, but the NIR observations failed due to a power outage in Pachon on Dec 31st, 2012. Here we are re-proposing the Spartan NIR observations to unveil the z>1 ACT SZE clusters. The new pending observations with Spartan IR Camera are designed to confirm the presence of a brightest cluster galaxy and red sequence of accompanying cluster members to z~1-1.5. Over 90% of ACT SZ clusters are expected to lie at redshifts between 0 and 0.9, which was confirmed using optical bands. For the remaining 10% of z>0.9 SZE clusters the near-infrared imaging will provide the confirmation for systems up to z~1.5. We expect to confirm ~5 SZE-clusters at these redshifts, all of which will be new discoveries of the most massive, high-redshift clusters.


National Optical Astronomy Observatory, 950 North Cherry Avenue, P.O. Box 26732, Tucson, Arizona 85726, Phone: (520) 318-8000, Fax: (520) 318-8360



NOAO >   Observing Info >   Approved Programs >   2013B-0164

noaoprop-help@noao.edu

Small NOAO Logo