NOAO >   Observing Info >   Approved Programs >   2012B-0378

Small NOAO Logo

Proposal Information for 2012B-0378


PI: Felipe Menanteau, Rutgers University, felipe@physics.rutgers.edu
Address: Departament of Physics and Astronomy, 136 Frelinghuysen Rd, Piscaaway, NJ 08854, USA

CoI: John P. Hughes, Rutgers University
CoI: Felipe Barrientos, P. Univ. Catolica de Chile
CoI: Leopoldo Infante, P. Univ. Catolica de Chile
CoI: Matt Hilton, University of Nottingham
CoI: Tobias Marriage, Johns Hopkins University
CoI: Megan Gralla, Johns Hopkins University

Title: Optical/NIR Identification of New SZ Galaxy Clusters from the Atacama Cosmology Telescope

Abstract: We propose SOAR optical and near-infrared observations of ~40 new unconfirmed 148 GHz high significance Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) detections from the Atacama Cosmology Telescope (ACT). This will provide ~25 new massive (>7\times10^14M_\odot) SZE-clusters up to and even beyond z=1 for an additional area of ~200 deg^2 with no optical coverage. The new observations from the SOAR Optical Imager and the Spartan IR Camera are designed to confirm the presence of a brightest cluster galaxy and red sequence of accompanying cluster members to z~1.5. Over 90% of ACT SZ clusters are expected to lie at redshifts between 0 and 0.9, which can be easily confirmed using optical bands. For the remaining 10% of z>0.9 SZE clusters the near- infrared imaging will provide the confirmation for systems at z~1.5. We expect to confirm 3-4 SZE-clusters at these redshifts, all of which will be new discoveries of high-redshift massive clusters. The combination of optical and near-infrared bands will ensure detectability of the red sequence across this full redshift range and will provide rough photometric redshift estimates.


National Optical Astronomy Observatory, 950 North Cherry Avenue, P.O. Box 26732, Tucson, Arizona 85726, Phone: (520) 318-8000, Fax: (520) 318-8360



NOAO >   Observing Info >   Approved Programs >   2012B-0378

noaoprop-help@noao.edu

Small NOAO Logo