Advanced Observing Program at Kitt Peak Visitor Center
General Information about the Kitt Peak Visitor Center Observatory
- Geographic Position
- 31° 57′ 30.32″ North latitude
- 111° 35′ 53″ West longitude
- Artificial Horizons
- 20-inch RC Observatory: An artificial horizon, due to the observatory dome walls, extends 20° above the true horizon in altitude. This means the southernmost targets available are around –37° declination (on the meridian).
- 16-inch RC Roll-Off Roof (ROR) Observatory: Artifical horizon to be determined.
- 16-inch SCT Observatory: Clear to the horizon in most directions, including the southern horizon.
Always bring very warm clothing to the mountain! The temperature on Kitt Peak is generally 15 to 20 °F cooler than in Tucson.
The following pages describe detailed suggestions for your Advanced Observing Program at Kitt Peak. These suggestions fall into two basic catagories. Please investigate the one that pertains to you.