Advanced Observing Program at Kitt Peak Visitor Center
Rates as of May 3, 2013:
- CCD Imaging: $650 per night in the observatory for up to two people
- Visual and Webcam DLSR: $550 per night in the observatory for up to two people
- $100 for each additional person per night
Room and Board:
- $90 per person per night for room and board, single occupancy (includes 3 meals)
- $75 per person per night for room and board, double occupancy
A credit card (authorization request) is necessary to make a reservation.
Cancellation Policy: Non-weather related cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to AOP, guests will be charged 1/2 the AOP fee. Weather-related cancellations mutually agreed upon by both guest and assigned guide prior to 10:00am MST of their arrival on Kitt Peak will be no charge. Once on the mountain, guests will be charged full price for their AOP regardless of weather conditions or available time at telescope. No proration of AOP fees for environmental conditions once on the mountain.
- Attendance is by reservation only: Use our on-line Reservation Request Form and we will get back to you within approximately 24 hours.
- Email and our on-line form are the preferred methods of contact and will be answered more quickly. However, if you must reach us by phone, please call (520) 318-8330 and we will respond to any voicemail messages within a couple of days.
- Guests arrive by 4:00 pm.
- Dress Warmly! Temperatures on Kitt Peak are 15 to 20 °F cooler than those in Tucson at night; that's colder than you think. The summit of Kitt Peak is 6875 feet above sea level.
- Kitt Peak National Observatory is funded through the National Science Foundation and its purpose is to advance astronomical research in the United States. The Advanced Observing Program will be conducted to minimize interference with the research programs on Kitt Peak.
- The National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) and the Kitt Peak Visitor Center reserve the right to use all images taken with NOAO equipment for publicity and educational purposes.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited on Kitt Peak and the Tohono O'odham lands.
- The RC 20 Visitor Center Telescope is wheelchair accessible.