NOAO Newsletter - March 2010 - Number 101
The NOAO Newsletter is available in PDF format for
reading or downloading. If you wish to read PDF files online you
must have a PDF reader program such as
Adobe Acrobat Reader
installed as a helper application or browser plugin. You may need to
to the most recent version if you have trouble viewing these files.
The newsletter is available as a single PDF file
or with separate files for each major section.
We send out an electronic notification when the Newsletter is posted online, generally several weeks before hard copies reach all our readers.
Our New Newsletter Format
With the first issue of the NOAO/NSO Newsletter in 2010, we will begin producing only two issues a year for publication in March and September. Additionally, we are changing the section organization to make the Newsletter more useful and informative. In previous issues, the section content followed the organizational structure of NOAO. The new sections, described below, are subject-oriented.
- Science Highlights-This will remain much the same as it has been, a place for highlighting scientific accomplishments in astronomy/astrophysics.
- System Science Capabilities-This will include articles about the telescopes and instruments under development and plans for enhancing the US ground-based optical/infrared system of telescopes. These articles will pertain to the facilities provided to the US astronomical community by the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory, Kitt Peak National Observatory, Gemini Observatory, SMARTS and SOAR consortiums, Telescope System Instrumentation Program, and ReSTAR.
- System Observing: Instruments & Telescopes-This section contains everything readers will need to know to propose for observing time with the above mentioned facilities.
- NOAO Operations & Staff Highlights-This begins with the NOAO director's article and includes articles about the operations/management of and the people involved with the National Observatory.
- NSO Happenings-This begins with the NSO director's article and includes all NSO-related articles that are not in "Science Highlights" and cover topics about NSO telescopes and instruments, the operations/management of, and the people involved in NSO.