Previous Article Next Article Table of Contents


Two Years of Electronic Submissions! (1Dec95) (from KPNO, NOAO Newsletter No. 44, December 1995) The spring 1996 proposal cycle marked the fourth semester of our "experiment" in accepting proposals via e-mail of the LaTeX proposal form. Of the 249 proposals received this semester, 223 (90%) were submitted electronically. This may be compared to that of previous semesters: March 1994 (F94 semester): 73% September 1994 (S95 semester): 77% March 1995 (F95 semester): 86% September 1995 (S96 semester): 90% In going through the proposal stack, one finds that most of the remaining 10% who are submitting proposals via paper copies are in-house staff, who doubtless find it easier just to walk the copy down the hallway! There were also 185 figures e-mailed for the latest round. Problems encountered on this end basically fell into two camps this time around: 1) A number of nagging little LaTeX problems suggests that not all users are bothering to print their final proposal template through LaTeX before submitting it. We have continued to fix these problems (often missing "$" signs), but this is a time-consuming process that occurs right as we are trying our hardest to get the proposals mailed out to the TAC. (Over half of the proposals are invariably submitted on the last day.) We ask that you help by checking your hard copy before submitting the proposal. We reiterate that it is up to the proposer to make sure that the finished product looks the way that you want the TAC to see it! 2) A number of institutions have apparently updated to "LaTeX2e," resulting in a different size type font being loaded by default. We will modify the form for the next round to ensure that the printout here is idendical to that at your home institution. Phil Massey, Jeannette Barnes, David Bell, Pat Patterson, Judy Prosser
Previous Article Next Article Table of Contents