Next: Where Can I Use Multi-Slits?
Kitt Peak supports spectroscopic multiplexing with the fiber-positioner Hydra and Bench Spectrograph on the 3.5-m WIYN telescope (beginning in the Spring 1995 semester) and with multi-slit masks on the RC Spectrograph and Cryogenic Cameras at the 4-m. Which is better for your particular application?
The advantages of multi-slits over Hydra are:
- Closer spacing of objects. The closest spacing of objects with multi-slits is 3 arcsec (although this leads to very limited sky availability), while the closest spacing of Hydra at WIYN is 40.0 arcsecs.
- Better sky subtraction in fields with variable background.
- Higher throughput under many seeing conditions.
The disadvantages of multi-slits over Hydra are:
- Considerably smaller field (5.2 arcmin vs. 60 arcmin).
- More limited number of objects (typically a dozen versus 70-80).
- The fact that the wavelength range covered is a function of position within the focal plane.
- Hydra fibers provide image scrambling, useful for precise radial velocity work.
Fri Jun 23 09:48:03 MST 1995