Name ___________________________________ Period _________
Student Answer Sheet - How Old Are the Jewels?
1. Do all the stars appear to be the same color? Describe what you see.
2. Can you tell where the edge of the cluster lies?
3. Do the Jewelbox stars on your graph appear to be randomly scattered or do
they fall in any kind of pattern?
4. Do the field stars appear to fall randomly on your diagram or do they
appear to fall in any kind of pattern?
5. Compare your answers to Q3 and Q4. Why do you think the similarities
or differences between the two star patterns exist?
6. Using the sample graphs on the graph sheet,
estimate the age of the Jewelbox Cluster.
7. If you have studied the H-R diagram, explain what the three cluster-age
graphs above say about the relative lifetimes of O/B stars compared to K/M
8. Where would our star, the Sun, be plotted on your diagram?
[ Jewels of the Night Home Page
National Optical Astronomy Observatories, 950 North Cherry Avenue, P.O. Box
26732, Tucson, Arizona 85726, Phone: (520) 318-8000, Fax: (520) 318-8360